Rainbow Jello is a favorite at church potlucks in Hawaii where rainbows are a common sight in the lush, tropical climate. Making this dessert takes time and patience, but the finished product is sure to bring smiles to the people around your table.
Hawaiian Rainbow Jello
Equipment: 9x13 chilled glass dish, glass measuring cups in 4, 2 and 1-cup sizes
Helpful notes: Measure your hot water very carefully for each jello color. Err on the side of less water because when you get to the top layer, it will probably almost completely fill your 9x13 dish. Double check to make sure a layer is set before pouring the next layer. This recipe takes patience but the result is worth it! Also, make sure you have a level spot in your refrigerator to set the glass dish.
8 individual packets of knox gelatin
2 14 oz. cans sweetened condensed milk
1 large 6 oz box berry blue jello gelatin
1 large 6 oz box lime jello gelatin
1 large 6 oz box lemon jello gelatin
1 large 6 oz box orange jello gelatin
1 large 6 oz box strawberry jello gelatin
- Chill the empty 13x9 glass dish for an hour or two before starting this recipe.
- In the 4-cup glass measure, microwave 1 1/2 cups of water to boiling and add 3 packets of Knox unflavored Gelatin, stirring constantly, make sure that the gelatin is completely dissolved. Then pour in the 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk, stir well, adding a little more hot water to make a total of 4 cups of milk mixture. Set aside.
- In a dry bowl, mix the blue Jello powder with one packet of unflavored gelatin. Pre-mixing will help the gelatin dissolve more smoothly.
- In the 2-cup glass measure, microwave 1 1/2 cups of water to boiling. Add the blue Jello/gelatin powder and mix well until all the gelatin is dissolved. Let cool slightly, then pour into chilled 9x13 glass dish and return to the refrigerator for 15 minutes or until set.
- Wash and dry your bowl and 2-cup measure. You will do this between each color.
- When the blue layer is set, measure out 1 cup of the milk mixture and pour it over the blue gel layer.
- The lime green Jello will be the second color layer. Follow the steps above and pre-mix the gelatin powders, add to the boiling water and mix, and cool slightly before pouring over the white layer. Return to the refrigerator for another 20 minutes or until the Jello is set well.
- Alternate between the colored layers and the white milk layer. You will want to add each color in rainbow spectrum order. Look up a picture of a rainbow. From the bottom layer the color order is blue, green, yellow, orange, and finally red on top. If the milk mixture starts to set and become lumpy, microwave for a 15 seconds until the mixture is warm (not hot) and just smooth enough to pour.
- For best results, chill the finished dessert overnight before cutting into rainbow slices. Remove from the glass dish with a straight edge-spatula.
For more recipes and stories about food and fellowship visit UMC.org/OurUMTable.
This video was produced by United Methodist Communications in Nashville, Tennessee.
Media contact is Lilla Marigza.
This video was first posted on June 17, 2021.