After a storm strikes, you may be looking for a way to support those affected. The United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) assists victims of natural and man-made disasters all over the world. UMCOR collects hygiene, school, and cleaning kits for distribution within the United States. These supplies enable people to begin the overwhelming job of cleaning up after a flood or hurricane.
The Rio Texas Conference of the United Methodist Church shared this video on how to assemble a cleaning bucket. Buckets are collected at United Methodist Churches and are stored and distributed through a network of United Methodist Relief-Supply Warehouses across the United States.
Cleaning Kit Materials
• 5-gallon bucket with resealable lid - Buckets from fast-food restaurants or bakeries can be used if washed and cleaned. Do not use buckets that have stored chemicals such as paint or pool cleaner. Advertisements on the outside are acceptable.
• 5 scouring pads
• 7 sponges
• 1 scrub brush
• 18 cleaning towels (reusable wipes)
• Liquid laundry detergent (two 25 oz. or one 50 oz. bottle)
• 1 household cleaner, 12-16 oz. bottle
• Disinfectant dish soap, 16-28 oz. bottle
• 50 clothes pins
• Clothes line (two 50 ft. or one 100 ft.)
• 5 dust masks
• 2 pair latex gloves
• 1 pair work gloves
• 24-bag roll of heavy-duty trash bags, 33-45 gallon
(remove roll from box before placing in bucket)
• 1 insect repellent spray, 6-14 oz. can
• 1 air freshener, 8 or 9 oz. can
Note: if the requested item size is not available, go down to the next available size.
If nothing is available in the requested or smaller size, put masking tape on the outside
of the bucket saying, "This bucket contains no _________"
Important Kit Assembly Information
• All items included in kits must be NEW items.
• All emergency kits are carefully planned to make them usable in the greatest
number of situations. Since strict rules often govern product entry into international
countries, it is important that kits contain only the requested items-nothing more.
• Do NOT include any personal notes, money or additional materials in the kits.
These things must be painstakingly removed and will delay the shipment.
Special Shipping Requirements
All cleaning agents must be liquid and in plastic bottles. No powders.