Get Them Talking is a series of monthly resources to help families lead conversations about issues of faith during dinner, devotions, a drive or anytime .
When the angel appears to Mary, she asks a lot of questions and humbly assumes the angel may have the wrong woman. Although she doesn’t receive answers to all of her questions, Mary agrees to do what God is asking of her.
Following God is sometimes demanding. We don’t always get answers to all of our questions. But when we are willing, God can do amazing things in and through us.
The approaching new year is a wonderful time to recommit our lives to serve God and others.
Get them talking
- What’s the greatest promise anyone has ever made to you?
- How does it feel when someone does not follow through on a promise?
- What does God promise Mary (Luke 1:26-38)?
- What does Mary promise God?
- In the Covenant Renewal Service used at the beginning of a new year, we pray that God will use us.
- What does that mean?
- How will you prepare yourself to be used by God in the year ahead?
Dear God, give me the courage to say, “I am the Lord’s servant,” as Mary did. Amen.
Early Methodists agreed to “watch over one another in love,” as a way of helping each member grow closer to God. Talk about ways you will watch over one another, and how you will encourage each other to say “yes” to God every day.
Is there a topic you would like us to include as a devotional? Let us know.
This devotional was first posted on November 22, 2019.