Kate Bowler was diagnosed with stage IV cancer and given just a few months to live. She’s battled for more time, and has written about her experiences and discoveries in Everything Happens for a Reason and Other Lies I’ve Loved. She joins Pierce and Ryan to talk about hope, laughter, and prosperity in the midst of an uncertain future.
Listen, rate, subscribe: Apple Podcasts / Google Play / Spotify
Kate Bowler was our guest. Check out info about Kate and her writings at KateBowler.com.
Kate Bowler is an assistant professor at Duke Divinity School. A graduate of Yale Divinity School and Duke University, Bowler is the author of Blessed: A History of the American Prosperity Gospel. She lives in North Carolina with her husband and son. At age 35, she was diagnosed with Stage IV cancer. She started writing a love letter to her family, which turned in to the bestseller Everything Happens for a Reason and Other Lies I’ve Loved.
Quotes from Kate:
- “Maybe I could be a little less panicked about the future if I could just linger a little more in the present.”
- “Did I really think that you promised me this all along?”
- “Did I think I was the exception to the rule that bad things happen to people?”
- “I was genuninely surprised that in the worst of the hospital moments, I could feel God’s presence.”
- “We’re incomplete and everything comes apart all the time…“
- “You are not a problem to be solved just because you are in pain.”
- “There will be enough.”