January 27, 2022
UMEIT: YAN is part of several initiatives of the Council of Bishops in leading The United Methodist Church into living more fully into Christian unity and into deepening our interreligious relationships. Selected young adults meet together regularly via zoom with Ecumenical Staff Officer Rev. Dr. Jean Hawxhurst for worship, leadership development, learning about the Ecumenical and Interreligious Movements, and creating ministry projects in their contexts.
They will create a group covenant, read four books, develop ministry action plans, and cultivate community among themselves. The participants also meet together face-to-face once a year as a part of their process of growing as excellent leaders in the Ecumenical and Interreligious Movements on behalf of The United Methodist Church.
Those selected for the 2022-2023 cohort of UMEIT: Young Adult Network will begin their work in March. They are laity and clergy, male and female, and live their faith in Africa, Asia, Europe and the United States, and include:
- Roxanne Bainbridge from the Methodist Church in Great Britain in Wales
- Gavin Brandenburg from the West Virginia Annual Conference in the United States
- Michael Buscano from the Mindanao Annual Conference in the Philippines
- Juwille Dimalanta from the Mindanao Annual Conference in the Philippines
- Lily Maijamaa from the Northern Nigeria Annual Conference in Nigeria
- Eliseu Manuel form the Angola West Annual Conference in Angola
- Luke Miltz from the Great Plains Annual Conference in the United States
- Katie Paul from the Oklahoma Annual Conference in the United States
- Ryan Ware from the Virginia Annual Conference in the United States
- Jennifer Weitzel from the Eastern Pennsylvania Annual Conference in United States.
UMEIT: Young Adult Network is one of six different United Methodist Ecumenical and Interreligious Trainings (UMEIT). All are outlined on the bishops’ webpage (www.unitedmethodistbishops.org). Search for UMEIT under the “Ecumenical” tab or contact Dr. Hawxhurst directly at [email protected].
Rev. Dr. Maidstone Mulenga
Director of Communications - Council of Bishops