Four themes and a series of core values will help you share why you are United Methodist and what makes you optimistic for the future as we move toward becoming a more perfect Church.
Click to view and/or download our infographic offering a quick overview of the #BeUMC campaign.
These key themes are intended to highlight what unites us as United Methodists and what we are working towards, together. When sharing your #BeUMC story, you should do so in a way that is authentic to your experience and context. Each key theme includes examples of different ways people might talk about it.
A set of core values is aligned with each key theme. Choose the core values that most closely relate to your United Methodist experience. Maybe you’ll choose to highlight a different core value each month in order to show the diverse ways you live out your faith and how your congregation lives into those areas.
Foundation: Living the Gospel
The United Methodist Church is founded on a Wesleyan theology of grace, anchored in Scripture and based in the life and teachings of Jesus Christ and the continuing movement of the Holy Spirit.
- We embrace the fundamentals of the Wesleyan tradition and dedicate ourselves to the mission of making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
- We embrace a Church anchored in Scripture and a theology of grace.
- We embrace a Church that aspires to be a more just and inclusive force in the world.
- We embrace the connected power of 12 million souls united, working towards good in the world.
- We embrace a Church that has uplifted our own lives and the lives of our friends, family, and those we cherish.
- We embrace a Church built in loving relationships rather than uniformity in thought and action.
- We embrace a Church where everyone does not have to agree and where everyone is welcome.
Theme 1 – Disciple Making
First and foremost, we are dedicated to the mission of making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world in the tradition of John Wesley.
We are committed to making disciples…
- For the creation of a more just and inclusive world, united in the love of God.
- Who are grounded in the teachings and example of Jesus Christ.
- Who are anchored in Scripture and formed by tradition, experience and reason.
- Who live a life of personal piety and social holiness.
Related core values: Christ-centered, Deeply rooted, Disciple-making, Faithful and Grounded in Scripture
Theme 2 – Belonging & Inclusion
All belong and will be loved in The UMC. All will be heard, respected and engaged. All will be free to develop their personal relationship with God and to serve fully in the ministry of Jesus Christ.
I want to be a part of a Church…
- With different backgrounds, opinions and gifts.
- That affirms the wholeness of everyone. We are LGBTQ+, people of many abilities and people in many life situations.
- That is dismantling racism.
- Where, when communion is celebrated, everyone is invited to the table.
- That is diverse and where I'm not expected to think like everyone else.
Related core values: Diverse, Justice-seeking, Resilient and Welcoming
Theme 3 – Influence, Connection and Impact
With more than 12 million members across the globe, we are a powerful connection, living and sharing the grace of Jesus Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit. We are committed to work for global health, education, creation care, child welfare, disaster recovery and countless other efforts.
I want to be a part of a Church that…
- Shapes the world and cares for all of God’s creation.
- Has given billions of dollars to offer healing to a broken world.
- People look to for inspiration and wisdom.
- Can do so much more together, than alone, to change the world.
- Laments its failures and walks humbly with God in repairing a broken world.
Related core values: Missional, Connected, World-changing and Generous
Theme 4 – Experience of God through The UMC
We embrace a Church where we experience our triune God in personal and community relationships, transforming our own lives, the lives around us, and the entire world.
I want to be a part of the Church…
- Where I found my relationship with God.
- That helped my children.
- That shaped my parents and grandparents.
- Where I first experienced God’s love.
- Where I can use my gifts and be part of a community.
Related core values: Committed, Grace-filled, Jesus-seeking, Praying and Spirit-filled