Inspiring Women of Faith: Get Your Spirit in Shape
If you were asked to share stories of the women who have inspired you in your faith journey, who would you pick? In this conversation, prominent United Methodist Carolyn Johnson, shares vivid stories of women who modeled a life of prayer, showed her that not all skill sets come with formal credentials, caused her to see an ability as a gift rather than a burden, courageously stood for what’s right by telling stories of injustice, and taught her that sometimes children are the best teachers.
Get Your Spirit in Shape
About Carolyn Johnson
- Conference secretary for the Indiana Annual Conference and a leader in her local congregation
- Former president of the national United Methodist Women
- Past trustee of Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary
- Seven-time delegate to General Conference
- Active in Black Methodists for Church Renewal (BMCR), currently serving as a chairperson in the North Central Jurisdiction BMCR.
- Director of the Diversity Resource Office at Purdue University and former public school teacher and administrator
Links for more information
- Ida B. Wells-Barnett, prominent journalist, activist, and researcher
- “All is prayer” by Joe Iovino, about praying for others
- “Finding healing and peace in a polarized political climate” talks about conflict transformation
- Watch “United Methodist Children on Prayer,” highlights some of what children can teach us.
- Listen to “Learning about God by Listening to Kids” Get Your Spirit in Shape, episode 18.
- Explore more of what children can teach us on “Our Beliefs. Their Words” Campaign Videos.
Join the conversation
- Email our host Joe Iovino about this episode, ideas for future topics, or any other thoughts you would like to share.
Help us spread the word
- Tell others: members of your church, coworkers, and anyone else might benefit from these conversations.
- Share us on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites.
- Review us on iTunes, Google Play, or wherever you download the episode. Great reviews help others find us.
- Read the transcript of this episode.
More Get Your Spirit in Shape episodes
Thank you for listening, downloading, and subscribing.
This episode originally posted on May 4, 2018.