What is the denomination’s position on homosexuality?
Only the General Conference speaks for The United Methodist Church. When the lay and clergy delegates to General Conference approve a statement, it is published in the Book of Discipline and/or the Book of Resolutions. These words come from the people of The United Methodist Church.
- Human Sexuality
- Equal Rights Regardless of Sexual Orientation
- Church to Be in Ministry to Persons of All Sexual Orientations
- Opposition to Homophobia and Heterosexism
2012 Book of Discipline Statements
- ¶ 4. Article IV. Inclusiveness of the Church: The United Methodist Church acknowledges that all persons are of sacred worth. All persons without regard to race, color, national origin, status, or economic condition, shall be eligible to attend its worship services, participate in its programs, receive the sacraments, upon baptism be admitted as baptized members, and upon taking vows declaring the Christian faith, become professing members in any local church in the connection. View full statement.
- ¶ 214. Eligibility: All people may attend its worship services, participate in its programs, receive the sacraments and become members in any local church in the connection (¶ 4). View full statement.
- ¶ 304.3: The practice of homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching. Therefore self-avowed practicing homosexuals are not to be certified as candidates, ordained as ministers, or appointed to serve in The United Methodist Church. View full statement.
- ¶ 341.6: Ceremonies that celebrate homosexual unions shall not be conducted by our ministers and shall not be conducted in our churches.
- ¶ 2702: Chargeable Offenses
- ¶ 613: The [conference council on finance and administration] shall have authority and responsibility to .... ensure that no annual conference board, agency, committee, commission, or council shall give United Methodist funds to any gay caucus or group, or otherwise use such funds to promote the acceptance of homosexuality or violate the expressed commitment of The UMC "not to reject or condemn lesbian and gay members and friends" (¶ 161F). View full statement.
- ¶ 806.9: [The General Council on Finance and Administration] shall be responsible for ensuring that no board, agency, committee, commission, or council shall give United Methodist funds to any gay caucus or group, or otherwise use such funds to promote the acceptance of homosexuality or violate the expressed commitment of The United Methodist Church 'not to reject or condemn lesbian and gay members and friends' (¶ 161F). View full statement.
(From The Book of Discipline of The United Methodist Church — 2012. Copyright 2012 by The United Methodist Publishing House. Used by permission.)
- United Methodist body considers change to sexuality stance
- Finance agency can grant same-gender benefits, court says
- Church situation on gay unions ‘untenable,’ group says
- Dallas pastor faces complaint for same-sex service
- Same-sex union complaints filed against bishop
- New York Conference court resolves Ogletree case
- Leaders of 2 agencies decry laws targeting gays
- 2 clergy face 24-hour suspension for gay weddings
- Pain and hope after Schaefer trial
- Summary of coverage about Frank Schaefer
- Retired pastor will perform same-sex weddings
- Theologian faces trial for same-sex wedding
- ‘You are children of God’