Get Your Spirit in Shape: Meet Bishop Ruben Saenz Jr.
“Within 90 days we had sold our business, our home, moved to Dallas, and I was sitting in Billy Abraham’s ‘The Philosophy of Theology’ class wondering, ‘How in the world did I get here?’” recalls Bishop Ruben Saenz of the Great Plains Annual Conference. He started his career as a high school teacher, football coach, and business owner, but God had other plans. When he finally accepted the call to ordained ministry, his life quickly changed.
Get Your Spirit in Shape
In this podcast episode we talk with Bishop Saenz about growing up in the church, the joys of being a bishop in Kansas and Nebraska, and how he keeps his spirit in shape.
Bishop Ruben Saenz Jr.
- The bishop's bio on UMC.org
- Great Plains Annual Conference of The United Methodist Church
- Learn more about our United Methodist bishops.
Devotionals mentioned in this episode
- The Song of the Seed: The Monastic Way of Tending the Soul by Macrina Wiederkehr
- The Ignatian Adventure: Experiencing the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius in Daily Life by Kevin O'Brien
- The Divine Hours Prayers for Summertime: A Manual for Prayer by Phyllis Tickle
- Bishop Saenz also mentions the works of Bishop Rueben P. Job.
- Read the transcript of this episode.
More Get Your Spirit in Shape episodes
Help us spread the word
- Review us. Go to where you got the podcast (iTunes | Google Play | Stitcher), and write a review. Reviews move us up in searches, and help others find us.
- Tell others. Share what you are hearing with members of your church, coworkers, and whomever else might benefit from these conversations. And share us on Facebook and other social media.
Join the conversation
- Email our host Joe Iovino about this episode, ideas for future topics, or any other thoughts you would like to share.
Thank you for listening, downloading, and subscribing.
This podcast episode was first posted on October 13, 2017.