2011 Red Bird Missionary Conference
April 29-30, 2011, Thousandsticks, Ky.
Red Bird Missionary Conference opened with a message from Bishop Lindsey Davis, via video, from his home, where is recovering from a recent hospitalization. Bishop Michael Coyner, from the Indiana Area, presided over the conference session, which was held at Thousandsticks United Methodist Church.
Under the theme "One Person, One Mission, One Kingdom," the conference:
- Heard the stories of mission that are being written through the ministries of the churches, outreach centers, and mission institutions.
- Remembered 34 persons during the Opening Memorial Service, led by the Rev. Farley Stuart III, conference superintendent, and including missionary pastor Rev. Phil Bell.
- Participated in a Bible study using Esther's life as a biblical example of "one person, one mission, one Kingdom."
- Was blessed by the presence and message from Wade McQuinn and celebrated a mission offering of $12,910 for the children of Haiti.
- Received official greetings from Women's Division liaison Ebony Cody; Kathleen Masters with the Advance; and the Rev. Ken Sloane, United Methodist Communications.
- Recognized the ongoing partnership between the Kentucky and Red Bird Missionary conferences.
- Accepted a certificate of recognition from the General Council on Finance and Administration for 100 percent payment of apportionments.
- Presented the Harry Denman Awards for Evangelism to J.B. Bowman (laity).
- Presented certificates to 59 percent of our chartered churches and outreach centers for "five-star mission giving" and 63 percent for giving to all six special Sundays with offerings.
- Adopted the 2012 budget.
Clergy delegate elected to General Conference: Farley Stuart, III. Lay delegate elected to General Conference: Charlotte Davis, New Springs, Ky. Clergy delegates elected to Jurisdictional Conference: Jamie Brunk, Booneville, Ky., and Chuck Jack, Roark, Ky., alternate. Lay delegates elected to Jurisdictional Conference: O. Taylor Collins, Beverly, Ky., and Sue Brunk, Booneville, Ky., alternate.
Approved a petition to 2012 General Conference for full voting rights of local pastors and associate members, and approved a petition for recognition of sanctity of life Sunday
Bid farewell to the Rev. Mike and Lori Tupper, who will be returning to Michigan, and to Drs. Lynn and Sharon Fogleman, who will be returning to overseas missionary service to Sudan this fall.
Bishop Coyner led the closing worship. During the service, the conference witnessed the ordination of Dan E. Griffiths as full elder and the commissioning of Robert Amundsen as a provisional member in the Red Bird Missionary Conference.
Membership stands at 1,425, up 19 over the previous year. Worship attendance stands at 773, up 12. Church school attendance stands at 424, down 42.
--Ruth A. Wiertzema, director of connectional ministries