2009 Red Bird Missionary Conference
May 1-2, 2009, Big Creek, Ky.
Bishop Lindsey Davis presided over his first annual conference session of Red Bird Missionary Conference, held at The Joy Center United Methodist outreach center. Members of the conference acted on a variety of mission-related and budgetary items, and approved three of the 32 constitutional amendments referred to the annual conferences for action.
Under the theme "Christ the Solid Rock," the conference:
- Built an altar of remembrance and thanksgiving from rocks brought forth by the delegates of the congregations and mission institutions. The altar was in memory of servants who have died since last annual conference, as well as thanksgiving for the connectional church. The conference throughout history has stood on the solid rock of Christ and continues in faith that the support needed will be provided during these uncertain times.
- Commissioned Dan E. Griffiths as a provisional member on the elders track.
- Was motivated by theBible studyand preaching of Bishop Davis.
- Heard former Red Bird missionary Ronnie Hopkins, now serving in Nicaragua, as mission night speaker.
- Celebrateda mission offering of $15,624.
- Received official greetings from Rachel Barnett with The Advance, who presented a citation honoring Red Bird Missionary Conference for the denomination's highest per-capita giving in 2008.
- Honored nine home missionaries in a service led by Becky Dodson Louter, executive secretary, Office of the Deaconess and Home Missioner Program. Red Bird Missionary Conference has nine of the 17 active home missionaries. Each home missionary was presented with a pin.
- Accepted a certificate of recognition for 100 percent payment of apportionments from the General Council on Finance and Administration.
- By a two-thirds majority voted in favor of three 8, 19 and 22 of the 32 constitutional amendments referred to the annual conferences by the 2008 General Conference. The approved amendments relate to the definition of membership, the election of clergy delegates to General and jurisdictional or central conferences, and the addition of Bermuda to the Northeastern Jurisdiction.
- Presented the Harry DenmanAwards for Evangelism to David C. Warden (clergy) and Charlotte Davis (laity).
- Presented certificates to62 percent of Red Bird's chartered churches and outreach centers for "five-star mission giving" and58 percent for giving to the six special Sundays with offerings.
- Heard the stories of missions that are built on the foundation of the "solid rock" in the ministries of the churches, outreach centers and mission institutions.
- Approveda change in charge lines.
- Adopted the 2010 budget with no increase in giving for World Service and Programs.
Membership stands at 1,488, up 16 over the previous year. Worship attendance stands at 751, up 52. Church school attendance stands at 380, down four.
--Ruth A. Wiertzema