¶ 55. Article I.-There shall be a Judicial Council. The General Conference shall determine the number and qualifications of its members, their terms of office, and the method of election and the filling of vacancies.
¶ 56. Article II.-The Judicial Council shall have authority:
1. To determine the constitutionality of any act of the General Conference upon an appeal of a majority of the Council of Bishops or one-fifth of the members of the General Conference and to determine the constitutionality of any act of a jurisdictional or central conference upon an appeal of a majority of the bishops of that jurisdictional or central conference or upon the appeal of one-fifth of the members of that jurisdictional or central conference.
2. To hear and determine any appeal from a bishop's decision on a question of law made in the annual conference when said appeal has been made by one-fifth of that conference present and voting.
3. To pass upon decisions of law made by bishops in annual conferences.
4. To hear and determine the legality of any action taken therein by any General Conference board or jurisdictional or central conference board or body, upon appeal by one-third of the members thereof, or upon request of the Council of Bishops or a majority of the bishops of a jurisdictional or a central conference.
5. To have such other duties and powers as may be conferred upon it by the General Conference.
6. To provide its own methods of organization and procedure.
¶ 57. Article III.-All decisions of the Judicial Council shall be final. When the Judicial Council shall declare unconstitutional any act of the General Conference then in session, that decision shall be reported back to that General Conference immediately.
¶ 58. Article IV.-The General Conference shall establish for the Church a judicial system that shall guarantee to our clergy a right to trial by a committee and an appeal, and to our members a right to trial before the Church, or by a committee, and an appeal.100
100. See Judicial Council Decision 522.
From The Book of Discipline of The United Methodist Church- 2012. Copyright 2012 by The United Methodist Publishing House. Used by permission.