Section VII. Boundaries
¶ 37. Article I.-The United Methodist Church shall have jurisdictional conferences made up as follows:
Northeastern-Bermuda, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, the Virgin Islands80, West Virginia.81
North Central-Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin.
South Central-Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas.
Western-Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming and the territory of the United States in the Pacific region.82
¶ 38. Article II.-The work of the Church outside the United States of America83 may be formed into central conferences, the number and boundaries of which shall be determined by the Uniting Conference, the General Conference having authority subsequently to make changes in the number and boundaries.
¶ 39. Article III.-Changes in the number, names, and boundaries of the jurisdictional conferences may be effected by the General Conference upon the consent of a majority of the annual conferences of each of the jurisdictional conferences involved.84
¶ 40. Article IV.-Changes in the number, names, and boundaries of the annual conferences and episcopal areas may be effected by the jurisdictional conferences in the United States of America85 and by the central conferences outside the United States of America according to the provisions under the respective powers and pursuant to the respective structures86 of the jurisdictional and the central conferences.87
¶ 41. Article V.-Transfer of Local Churches
1. A local church may be transferred from one annual conference to another in which it is geographically located upon approval by a two-thirds vote of those present and voting in each of the following:
a) the charge conference;
b) the congregational meeting of the local church;
c) each of the two annual conferences involved.
The vote shall be certified by the secretaries of the specified conferences or meetings to the bishops having supervision of the annual conferences involved, and upon their announcement of the required majorities the transfer shall immediately be effective.
2. The vote on approval of transfer shall be taken by each annual conference at its first session after the matter is submitted to it.
3. Transfers under the provisions of this article shall not be governed or restricted by other provisions of this Constitution relating to changes of boundaries of conferences.
80. Amended 1980.
81. Amended 1976.
82. Amended 1980.
83. Amended 1976.
84. See Judicial Council Decisions 55, 56, 85, 215.
85. Amended 1976.
86. Amended 1992.
87. See Judicial Council Decisions 28, 85, 217, 525, 541, 735; and Decisions 1, 2, Interim Judicial Council.
From The Book of Discipline of The United Methodist Church--2012. Copyright 2012 by The United Methodist Publishing House. Used by permission.