Meet Bishop Laurie Haller: Get Your Spirit in Shape
Bishop Laurie Haller initially thought she would be a church organist. As a high school student, she attended a pipe organ recital that “transported me to a place I’d never been.” Several months later, she started taking lessons and before long was off to study organ performance in college. While earning her Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees, she began to sense God calling her to pastoral ministry—a door she didn’t even think was open to her.
In addtion to being a pastor and musiciian, Bishop Laurie is an author and an endurance athlete who has participated in marathons and triathlons. In this conversation, she shares some early memories of growing up in the General Conference Mennonite Church, and how she continues to keep her spirit in shape.
Get Your Spirit in Shape
Bishop Laurie Haller
- Read Bishop Laurie's bio on UMC.org.
- Visit Bishop Laurie's blog Leading From the Heart.
- Buy Bishop Haller's book Recess: Rediscovering Play and Purpose.
- Explore the Iowa Conference where Bishop Laurie serves.
- Learn about music ministries in The United Methodist Church.
More about our bishops
- Listen to more bishops’ personal faith stories.
- Find out about our Council of Bishops.
- Called to ministry? We have resources to help you explore it.
Join the conversation
- Email our host Joe Iovino about this episode, ideas for future topics, or any other thoughts you would like to share.
Help us spread the word
- Tell others: members of your church, coworkers, and anyone else might benefit from these conversations.
- Share us on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites.
- Review us on iTunes, Google Play, or wherever you download the episode. Great reviews help others find us.
- Read the transcript of this episode.
More Get Your Spirit in Shape episodes
Thank you for listening, downloading, and subscribing.
This episode originally posted on April 6, 2018.