Get Your Spirit in Shape: Peace, Simplicity and a Tiny House
It was a stressful year for the Rev. Rebecca Rutter. The United Methodist pastor was in the final year of seminary, pastoring a church, and parenting three children. She needed something to help her relax. For her, this meant building a tiny house.
Rutter has loved house design since childhood, and as an adult studied sustainable architecture, environmentally responsible construction, and alternative ways of providing energy and water to a home. So for her, the challenge of designing and building a 98 square foot house brought together many of her interests, the perfect diversion.
After 11 months of building, Rutter had a tiny house and great insight into peaceful living, simplicity, and gratitude.
Get Your Spirit in Shape
- Watch Living Sermon: Pastor Builds Tiny House on UMC.org
- Read Pastor on going green: Smaller footprint, more room for Jesus on UMC.org
- Read De Pere pastor builds tiny house from the Green Bay Press-Gazette
More resources at UMC.org
- God's Gift of the Earth: A Photo Prayer
- Christians and Creation: 'You can't love God and ignore the Earth'
- Bible verses on Creation care: A discussion starter
- Praying for the Earth at General Conference
- Social Principles: The Natural World
- Read the transcript of this episode.
More Get Your Spirit in Shape episodes
Join the conversation
- Email our host Joe Iovino about this episode, ideas for future topics, or any other thoughts.
Help us spread the word
- Tell others. Share what you are hearing with members of your church, coworkers, and whomever else might benefit from these conversations. And share us on Facebook and other social media.
- Review us. Go to where you got the podcast (iTunes | Google Play | Stitcher), and write a review. Reviews move us up in searches, and help others find us.
Thank you for listening, downloading, and subscribing.