Get Your Spirit in Shape: Life lessons from a 95-year-old United Methodist
Shirley Bachelder is 95... “and a half,” she adds with an infections laugh. In those 95-plus years she has learned a great deal about life, faith, friendship, gratitude, love and more.
At a time when many of us are longing to hear a word from the Lord, Shirley receives explicit instructions. Advertising the words “love one another” on television and billboards in the Nashville area, came from God. When she needed a new, best friend, she asked the Lord to supply one. God did, and they were friends for decades. She has also asked God where to sleep and where to eat when she and her friend were on the road together.
Shirley maintains a constant conversation with God. “He’s interested in everything,” she says.
In our conversation, we talked about her love for God, the importance of friendship, ways to show God gratitude, and what it means to “love one another.” What a privilege to sit at the feet of someone who has lived a life of deep faith. Her wisdom will encourage and inspire you.
Get Your Spirit in Shape
- 95-Year-Old Billboard Star's Message: Love - A great video by United Methodist Communications.
- Love One Another on Facebook is the place to follow Shirley's Love One Another movement.
- #LoveOneAnotherCampaign - Check out Shirley's hashtag on Facebook.
- Want a better life? Try a bucket list - Our UMC.org story with pictures of Shirley's billboards and hot air balloon ride.
- 'Love One Another' message popping up on Nashville billboards - from Nashville NBC affiliate WSMV.
- 94-year-old woman finishes bucket list with short message - from Nashville NBC affiliate WSMV.
- Read the transcript of this episode.
More Get Your Spirit in Shape episodes
Join the conversation
- Email our host Joe Iovino about this episode, ideas for future topics, or any other thoughts.
Help us spread the word
- Tell others. Share what you are hearing with members of your church, coworkers, and whomever else might benefit from these conversations. And share us on Facebook and other social media.
- Review us. Go to where you got the podcast (iTunes | Google Play), and write a review. Reviews move us up in searches, and help others find us.
Thank you for listening, downloading, and subscribing.