Get Your Spirit in Shape: Keeping Faith and Humor in Cancer
United Methodist pastor Jason Micheli went to the doctor for the serious stomach pains he was experiencing. Later that evening, after some tests the doctor had ordered, he got a call from his physician who asked if Micheli was sitting down.
Thus began this young father's journey with cancer, which he chronicles in his new book Cancer is Funny: Keeping Faith in Stage-Serious Chemo. “All of a sudden, the landscape of my life was completely different,” Micheli says. “And so I think familiar beliefs and familiar Scripture passages all looked different to me.”
In our conversation, we talk about what this personal crisis taught him about himself, God, the church, and more.
Get Your Spirit in Shape
- Jason's book: Cancer is Funny: Keeping Faith in Stage-Serious Chemo
- Jason's blog: Tamed Cynic
- Jason's podcast: Crackers & Grape Juice
- “Jesus Wept: Finding God’s comfort when times are bad” by Joe Iovino on UMC.org
- “Ways to keep the faith when the world seems wicked” by Joe Iovino on UMC.org
- Read the transcript of this episode.
More Get Your Spirit in Shape episodes
Join the conversation
- Email our host Joe Iovino about this episode, ideas for future topics, or any other thoughts.
Help us spread the word
- Tell others. Share what you are hearing with members of your church, coworkers, and whomever else might benefit from these conversations. And share us on Facebook and other social media.
- Review us. Go to where you got the podcast (iTunes | Google Play | Stitcher), and write a review. Reviews move us up in searches, and help others find us.
Thank you for listening, downloading, and subscribing.
This podcast was posted in February 2017.