Skip Navigation
Bethel United Methodist Church, near Washington, Ga., was founded around 1835. The current white-frame sanctuary dates to 1916, and was built for about $7,000, including furnishings. Photo by Scott MacInnis, courtesy Historic Rural Churches of Georgia.

Photo by Scott MacInnis, courtesy Historic Rural Churches of Georgia.

Bethel United Methodist Church, near Washington, Ga., was founded around 1835. The current white-frame sanctuary dates to 1916, and was built for about $7,000, including furnishings. Read more about the project.

Celebrating rural churches

The website Historic Rural Churches of Georgia highlights nearly 120 church buildings across the state, including many that have a Methodist background and some that are active United Methodist churches. Read more about the project» 

Below are some of the images of United Methodist churches from the site:

Bethel United Methodist Church

Bethel United Methodist Church, near Washington, Ga., was founded around 1835. The current white-frame sanctuary dates to 1916, and was built for about $7,000, including furnishings. Photo by Scott MacInnis, courtesy Historic Rural Churches of Georgia.

Bethel United Methodist Church, near Washington, Ga., was founded around 1835. The current white-frame sanctuary dates to 1916, and was built for about $7,000, including furnishings. Photo by Scott MacInnis, courtesy Historic Rural Churches of Georgia.

Stained-glass windows and oak pews are two features of the well-preserved interior of Bethel United Methodist Church. Photo by Scott MacInnis, courtesy Historic Rural Churches of Georgia.

Stained-glass windows and oak pews are two features of the well-preserved interior of Bethel United Methodist Church. Photo by Scott MacInnis, courtesy Historic Rural Churches of Georgia.

Fields Chapel United Methodist Church

Field’s Chapel United Methodist Church, in Cherokee County, Ga., has been going since about 1820. The current sanctuary had its dedication in 1899. The Rev. Sam Jones, a noted revivalist, preached the dedication sermon to a large crowd. Photo by Scott MacInnis, courtesy Historic Rural Churches of Georgia.

Fields Chapel United Methodist Church, in Cherokee County, Ga., has been going since about 1820. The current sanctuary had its dedication in 1899. The Rev. Sam Jones, a noted revivalist, preached the dedication sermon to a large crowd. Photo by Scott MacInnis, courtesy Historic Rural Churches of Georgia.

Wooden pews, heart pine floors and colored window panes are among the interior features of Field’s Chapel United Methodist Church. Photo by Scott MacInnis, courtesy Historic Rural Churches of Georgia.

Wooden pews, heart pine floors and colored window panes are among the interior features of Fields Chapel United Methodist Church. Photo by Scott MacInnis, courtesy Historic Rural Churches of Georgia.

Union United Methodist Church

Union United Methodist Church in Bulloch County, Ga., was organized in 1790. The current sanctuary is the church’s third, and dates to 1884. Photo by Randall Davis, courtesy Historic Rural Churches of Georgia.

Union United Methodist Church in Bulloch County, Ga., was organized in 1790. The current sanctuary is the church’s third, and dates to 1884. Photo by Randall Davis, courtesy Historic Rural Churches of Georgia.

The pews at Union United Methodist Church have mortised notches, from when men sat separately from women and children during worship. Photo by Randall Davis, courtesy Historic Rural Churches of Georgia.

The pews at Union United Methodist Church have mortised notches, from when men sat separately from women and children during worship. Photo by Randall Davis, courtesy Historic Rural Churches of Georgia.

Dry Pond United Methodist Church

Dry Pond United Methodist Church has been active in Jackson County, Ga., for more than 175 years. The current sanctuary features double steeples and dates to 1904. Photo by Scott MacInnis, courtesy Historic Rural Churches of Georgia.

Dry Pond United Methodist Church has been active in Jackson County, Ga., for more than 175 years. The current sanctuary features double steeples and dates to 1904. Photo by Scott MacInnis, courtesy Historic Rural Churches of Georgia.

The interior of Dry Pond UMC includes wooden pews, horizontal wall and ceilings and warm yellow light from chandeliers. Photo by Scott MacInnis, courtesy Historic Rural Churches of Georgia.

The interior of Dry Pond United Methodist Church includes wooden pews, horizontal wall and ceilings. and warm yellow light from chandeliers. Photo by Scott MacInnis, courtesy Historic Rural Churches of Georgia.

Dry Pond UMC’s furnishings include this old organ. Photo by Scott MacInnis, courtesy Historic Rural Churches of Georgia.

Dry Pond United Methodist Church's furnishings include this old organ. Photo by Scott MacInnis, courtesy Historic Rural Churches of Georgia.

Rural church historians

Sonny Seals (left) and George Hart of Atlanta are longtime friends who ramble the Georgia countryside looking for old rural churches that they believe should be appreciated and preserved. Photo by Mark Davis, courtesy the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Sonny Seals (left) and George Hart of Atlanta are longtime friends who ramble the Georgia countryside looking for old rural churches that they believe should be appreciated and preserved. Photo by Mark Davis, courtesy the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.