Music DirectorEncinitas, California (CA), USA 92024
Director of Music
San Dieguito United Methodist Church
$25k-$35k, commensurate with experience
15 hours per week
12 month position, renewable annually
Encinitas, CA United States
760-753-6582, Ext. 306
San Dieguito United Methodist Church is seeking a visionary and talented Director of Music, who can build on the strong history of traditional liturgical ministry for our congregation and grow our program further. Our ideal Director of Music will be responsible for playing the organ for Sunday services and piano for Thursday evening Chancel Choir rehearsals; for worship planning in collaboration with the Director of Choirs and Pastors; for supervising and overseeing instrumental ensembles and guest musicians for holidays, special occasions, and over the summer; and for contributing to the recently re-established Concert Series with hymn festivals, organ recitals, or large collaborative performances.
The church's music programs are an integral part of worship and community, and these are a source of joy and pride for our congregation. Our newly renovated sanctuary houses our 42-rank Schantz Pipe Organ (built in 1980 and refurbished in 2011 and 2016) and an 8-foot Yamaha grand piano. We have a well-established ensemble music program for adults and children, with five ensembles participating in regular worship: the Chancel Choir (40 adult members), Canticle Choir (10-12 youth), Children’s Choir (15-20 voices), Joyful Bells (adult ringers), and Trinity Bells (youth ringers). Additionally, the congregation includes members who play and sing with outstanding local community orchestras and choruses and teach music in our local school districts, and who are enthusiastic avocational singers, players, and supporters of music in our community.
As a musician, our Director of Music must be diligent in preparation and performance, and will cooperate with others to provide and enable the highest standard of worship within the parish. As a leader, the Director must provide vision and inspiration for volunteer and professional musicians, and will affirm our values of inclusion and joyful servant-leadership. As a collaborator, the Director must be detail oriented, proactively communicative, and will be patient and flexible in all interactions.
San Dieguito United Methodist Church, located in the Southern California coastal city of Encinitas, is an open and affirming church with a congregation of approximately 900 members. The motto of the Methodist Church, “Open Hearts, Open Minds, Open Doors” welcomes everyone regardless of age, race, education, economic status, marital status, sexual orientation or special needs.
Requirements & Application Procedures
Bachelor of Music in Organ Performance, Piano Performance
3-5 years in traditional music ministry role
Master of Music in Church Music or Organ Performance
5-7 years in traditional music ministry role
1. Please email a cover letter, current resume or CV, and reference list of at least three professional contacts to email@example.com. Please indicate “Director of Music Search” in the subject line.
2. Please also submit links to at least two contrasting audio or video recordings of your playing on organ. Ideally, we’d like to hear repertoire that could function as prelude or postlude, a hymn accompaniment with modulations and/or reharmonizations, and an improvisation. Only digital submissions will be accepted.
3. Additional information about the church (and specifications on the Schantz organ) is available online at www.encinitaschurch.com.
4. The application period closes on July 1st, with an anticipated start date of September 1, 2017.
- Organization: San Dieguito United Methodist Church
- Contact: Alma Rodriguez
- Phone: (760) 753-6582
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Closing Date: 07/01/17