Director of Small GroupsNeptune, New Jersey (NJ) 07753
Title: Director of Small Groups
Supervisor: Director of Connectional Ministries
Position Summary and Objective:
The Director of Small Groups leads and inspires the growth in biblical and theological understanding of small groups, and increases the number of worshipers engaged in small groups within GNJ congregations. The Director works with the Connectional Ministries and Regional teams to ensure GNJ is recruiting and equipping transformational leaders so that we make disciples and grow vital congregations to transform the world.
As a result of this position, the following will occur:
- Transformational Leaders are being recruited and equipped for the GNJ mission.
- Small group ministry in GNJ congregations is grounded biblically and theologically and congregations are experimenting with different technologies and strategies for small groups and faith formation that effectively connects with people in the community.
- More young people, people of diverse ethnicities and people from different educational and economic backgrounds are engaged in small groups.
- The percentage of worshipers participating in small groups and the number of small group leaders trained and successfully leading small groups are increasing by an appropriate goal set for each year.
- Do the right thing (make decisions and take action for the good of the mission within the values, culture and beliefs of GNJ) to recruit and equip transformation leaders who lead like apostles.
- Champion and facilitate GNJ resourcing and leadership development initiatives.
- In collaboration with laity and clergy and flowing out from GNJ strategic ministry plan and goals, plan, organize and implement small group goals and objectives so that congregations
• Engage more disciples in small groups and faith formation ministries.
• Grow in their understanding, practice and excellence in small group ministries.
• Start new small group strategies, ministries and experiences.
• Learn and share best practices with other congregations.
- Lead the creation of small group leader trainings so that existing and new small group leaders are leading quality small group ministries in the congregation and community.
- Build and lead a diverse small group resource team that includes clergy and laity to effectively equip local church leaders throughout GNJ.
- Lead the creation of effective toolkits for resource teams and local church leaders.
- Staff GNJ ministry teams/agencies so that GNJ mission and ministry s done with excellence and people learn about the small group and faith formation resources in GNJ.
- Facilitate peer learning groups and coach clergy and laity to improve their leadership.
- Christ-centered and Christ-like
- Open to listening and learning from the faith experiences of others with different theological views
- Accepting and inclusive of people of other races and cultures
- Joyful in spirit
- A self-starter
- Cooperative, collaborative, committed to the vision, mission, beliefs and values of GNJ
- A person of moral integrity and strong work ethic
- Committed to excellence
- Life-long learner
- Ability to motivate and influence people to achieve positive results
- Possess a vision for mission and cultural competence and ability to inspire others through the vision
- A team player
- Ability to mentor and coach
- A strategic thinker
- Ability to design and lead engaging workshops, and facilitate peer learning groups
- Comfortable and confident interacting with diverse groups of laity and clergy
- A strong planner, administrator and communicator
- Planning with the end result in mind
- Ability to effectively lead cross functional teams
- Effective and efficient in performing administrative tasks
- Timely in completing tasks
- An effective communicator - both written and oral
- Proactive in following through
- Master’s Degree or equivalent experience in any of the areas of theology, the arts, education, mission or other church, human and organizational areas.
- Professional/ Ministry Coaching training preferred
- Successful leadership in a local United Methodist Church and GNJ elected leadership position
- Ten or more years of effective leadership in a congregation and or organization
- Successfully coordinated large projects, developed and managed a budget
- Served in a large complex system
- An understanding and experience with strategic planning
- Knowledge of and skill in leadership development, evaluation, organization, and human resources
- Successful work with a variety of cultures
Travel: The position requires some evening and weekend responsibilities, extensive travel within the Greater New Jersey Region, and some travel outside the region.
Office: The director works from 205 Jumping Brook Road, Neptune, NJ except when traveling.
- Organization: The United Methodist Church of Greater New Jersey
- Contact: Kaitlynn Deal
- Email: email@example.com
- Closing Date: 05/31/17