Chairperson of Music and Worship ArtsChicago, Illinois (IL) 60619
St. Mark United Methodist Church, located in Chicago, Illinois is a believing community that gathers to worship and scatters to serve, is seeking a Chairperson of Music and Worship Arts. This position requires a broad range of music worship and arts experience.
- Planning and organizing a multifaceted and diverse music department, working in collaboration with clergy to provide a meaningful worship experience.
- Personally functions as a choral director of the Chancel Choir, Motet Ensemble, Hand Bell Choir, Women’s Choir and Men’s Choir.
- Performs music at two Sunday worship services (8:00 AM and 10:00 AM).
- Supervise and manage other paid and volunteer music staff.
- Personally leading or overseeing the leadership of visual, media and dramatic arts for Worship.
- Manage a yearly music budget, purchase and maintain library of choral music (sacred, traditional and contemporary).
- Serves on appropriate boards and committees.
- Serve as an integral part of the worship planning team to develop short and long term goals as outlined by the pastoral staff and any other duties as required by the Senior Pastor.
- Provide planning for church events, e.g. revival, funerals, weddings, concerts and a willingness to play for special events. Requires participation in the annual performance of Handel’s Messiah.
- Secure guest soloist and organist for special occasions to assist as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced degree in sacred music/worship music preferred.
- Strong experience and expertise in leading and performing church music.
- Keyboard skills adequate to rehearse choirs and soloists.
- Required to play the electric organ (Allen 3 Manual Digital Computer).
- Experience in coordinating visual, media, and dramatic art forms.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience in using technology in a worship setting, including strong computer proficiency and a willingness to continually update those skills.
- Proven team leadership skills.
- Directly responsible to the Senior Pastor.
- Will work with other members of the staff and lay leaders.
- Will coordinate and supervise the activities of other Music and Worship Arts Leaders.
Compensation will be based on experience, expertise and similar competitive positions within the demographic area and field.
- Letter of application
- Summary of education
- Technical skills
- Philosophy of collaboration
- Communication practices
- Organizational techniques
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Letters of recommendation and written permission to contact references may be requested at a later date.
- DVD of worship leadership, choral conducting, and of accompanying piano/organ, demonstrating musical styles and genres.
- Application material should be sent to:
Search Committee – Chair Person of Music and Worship
c/o Virginia Reynolds
St. Mark United Methodist Church
8441 South St. Lawrence
Chicago, Illinois 60619
Or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Organization: St. Mark United Methodist Church
- Contact: Virginia Reynolds
- Phone: (773) 846-2992
- Email: email@example.com
- Closing Date: 06/30/17