Associate Pastor for Modern WorshipFranklin, Tennessee (TN) 37069
Franklin First United Methodist Church
Job Description - Associate Pastor for Modern Worship
We are a vibrant Christ-centered community:
• Boldly embracing the power of the Holy Spirit
• Growing through the divinely inspired Word of God
• Faithfully serving others
• Inviting all to experience the transforming love of Jesus Christ
“The mission of the Church is to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. Local churches and extension ministries of the Church provide the most significant arenas through which disciple-making occurs.” (The Book of Discipline of The United Methodist Church, 2016, ¶120.
Franklin First United Methodist Church (FFUMC) is seeking an Associate Pastor for Modern Worship. The primary responsibility of this position will be to lead FFUMC in ministry to those seeking a modern and creative worship experience, sharing the Good News of Jesus Christ with those of all ages, but especially adults under 40.
The Modern Worship Associate Pastor should be a highly qualified, experienced next-generation worship pastor who will be able to lead a ministry focused on a modern-based service style that reaches people of all ages, with an emphasis on reaching persons under 40. The Modern Worship Associate Pastor will be responsible for delivering sermons, reviewing and choosing music, facilitating rehearsals and leading a worship team to plan modern worship experiences. This pastor will be responsible for identifying and equipping persons on the worship team to lead music, creative arts, technology and hospitality.
This person will develop an ecosystem for serving the modern worship community at FFUMC and take full responsibility for creating a positive team and support system. This person will work with other staff to organize small groups (education), recreation and mission activities, and other experiences that connect people to Christ and the church community. This pastor will lead a ministry focused on all who enjoy a vibrant, modern worship experience with particular emphasis on growing committed disciples of those under 40 years of age within the life of FFUMC.
While this pastor will have primary responsibility for creating the modern worship experience he/she should take into consideration ideas from the current staff such as:
Creating a modern worship experience on Sunday morning at 11:15/11:30 on our main campus and on one or more evenings in our historic sanctuary
Considering series-based sermons that speak to people where they are
Serving Communion every Sunday
Branding these services separately, such as the Servant Church at Franklin First UMC
Modern Worship Associate Pastor will be expected to connect de-churched and un-churched individuals and families from the community to Christ and with FFUMC, with an emphasis on the Millennial and X generations. He/she will also help organize activities and ministries that speak to guests and new members of the modern and traditional worship experiences alike. The pastor will coordinate with the FFUMC family and staff in ministering and leading these persons to become mature Christ-followers. FFUMC members, attendees and staff will be encouraged to actively assist and support the Modern Worship Associate Pastor. Examples of support include inviting people to church and into relationship with Christ.
The Modern Worship Pastor will report to the Senior Pastor.
· Organize and lead a ministry to reach and teach those who would be drawn to a modern, authentic worship environment
· Develop and lead modern worship experiences at 11:15/11:30 Sunday mornings on FFUMC’s main campus and at least one evening during the week at the historic sanctuary
· Develop an outreach program to Millennials and Generation Xers
· Develop and organize an entire ecosystem around modern worship experiences including music, creative arts, technology, branding, small groups, missions, recreational activities, etc.
· Develop an effective social media ministry in coordination with the communications team
· Consult and coordinate with other FFUMC staff and contribute to FFUMC’s music ministry and other church activities
The pastor will be
· Adept in common courtesy and general social skills
· Energized by being with people
· Extroverted, friendly, engaging and willing/able to initiate conversation
· Focused on outreach while ministering with those being connected to Christ and the church
· Gracious while still holding biblical standards
· Generally knowledgeable about the people and culture of this area
· Honest and sincere yet seasoned with grace
· Prompt to follow up with things and people when necessary
Education and Experience
· BA degree or higher required
· Theological viewpoint compatible with Wesleyan and United Methodist traditions and adherence to the United Methodist Book of Discipline required
· Ordained pastor preferred
· Experience for 3+ years in leading and growing modern worship experiences preferred
· Experience preaching at and/or serving a large-membership church preferred
· Experience in the successful use of social media preferred
Skills and Abilities
· Demonstrated ability to understand and relate to Millennials and Generation X attendees
· Able to recruit, motivate and equip volunteer leaders
· Communication skills: written, verbal and interpersonal
· Fluent in current technology and social media
· Organizational skills
· Problem solver and willingness to resolve conflict
· Operate in a team environment
Pay commensurate with experience.
Interested individuals may apply by sending their resumes, references and other supporting information they would like for the Staff Parish Committee to review to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Deadline: May 31, 2017
- Organization: Franklin First United Methodist Church
- Contact: Angela Overstreet
- Phone: 615-218-5434
- Email: email@example.com
- Closing Date: 06/09/17