Associate EditorNashville, Tennessee (TN) 37203-0007
Division of Higher Education/Division of Ordained Ministry
Monday-Friday; 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.. Hourly, non-exempt
The Associate Editor serves as the production manager of academic books. Copyedits and proofs manuscripts and front and back cover copy. Tracks and manages contracts, permission requests, endorsements and scheduling of freelances. Provides input to cover concept and titling process. Works with freelances to produce high-quality books in line with strategic goals and priorities of GBHEM.
Essential Job Functions
- Contacts, schedules and tracks contracts of freelancers, authors and other contributors to assist publisher to make sure all contracts are received in a timely manner and that all publishing projects meet the publication date as determined by the Publisher. Makes sure all freelances, authors and other contributors are paid in a timely fashion.
- Serves as project manager for book publishing projects. Copyedits manuscripts and documents and proofreads copy to ensure accuracy, consistency and quality control in support of GBHEM’s publishing plan.
- Keeps record of relevant date and uploads materials (contracts, permissions, invoices) to appropriate file to keep projects on schedule and at/under budget. Maintains accurate records for inventory, sales and publication plan.
- Communicates with Spanish-language editorial teams and contributors.
- Writes and edits copy for back covers, tip sheets and other customized pieces to assist publisher. Provides input for page design, cover concept and design and titles.
- Provides assistance to secure POs, check requests and other support functions. Serves as contact for freelances, authors, contributors and other publishing partners in conjunction with publisher. Helps mail books to authors, contributors, and academic journals.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in English/Spanish, journalism, religion or related field. Master’s degree is a plus.
- Strong writing, organizational and people skills; excellent editorial and proofreading skills; knowledge of electronic media; good organizational and time management skills required to manage print production processes; ability to plan and problem solve; good understanding permissions and releases in publishing context; knowledge of the structure and polity of The United Methodist Church highly preferred.
- Strong desire to learn in a fast-paced environment
- Copyediting and proofreading skills (thorough knowledge of English and Spanish usage, grammar and punctuation); writing (back cover copy, tip sheets), strong computer skills including Word and Excel
- Knowledge of InDesign a plus
- Familiarity and understanding of electronic communications (Web-based)
- Must be bilingual in English and Spanish
- Three to five years of copyediting, proofreading and writing experience required; and project management experience in editorial and production processes
- Work history in nonprofit organizations(s) a plus
Email your resume and a letter indicating how your experience, training, gifts and skills equip you for this work to:
GBHEM Human Resources - C/O Associate Editor
Job will remain open until filled. The General Board of Higher Education and Ministry is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Organization: GBHEM
- Contact: Brenda Camire
- Phone: 6153407418
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Closing Date: 12/30/16