The Rev. Kennetha Bigham-Tsai
North Central Jurisdiction
11 Fuller SE, PO Box 6247
Grand Rapids, MI 49516-6247
West Michigan Conference
Education and Honors
- Harvard University, Bachelor of Arts
- Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary, Austin Texas, Master of Divinity
- Training related to congregational vitality and development Schools for Congregational Development
- REACH Summits (annual Michigan-area initiative on congregational vitality and leadership development)
- MultiSiting—2015 Michigan area conference on church multiplication Training on Adaptive Leadership with Susan Beaumont (formerly of the Alban Institute)
- Training events on cross racial/cross cultural appointments and ministry (General Commission on Religion and Race)
- Conflict Resolution/Family Systems Training (with Richard Blackburn of the Lombard Mennonite Peace Center)
- Training in Congregational Systems (Dr. Peter Steinke, Healthy Congregations)
- Many years of participation in Calvin Institutes of Christian Worship (Calvin College) and the Festival of Homiletics
- West Michigan Annual Conference Peace Sermon of the Year Award
- Current appointment: Lansing District Superintendent
- Pastor - Milwood United Methodist Church – Portage, MI 2011 – 2013
- Pastor - University United Methodist Church – E. Lansing, MI 2006 – 2011
- District Peace with Justice Community – Grand Rapids, MI 2002 – 2006
Ordained Elder in the West Michigan Annual Conference in 2009
Current Connectional and Ecumenical Church Experiences
- Superintendent, Lansing District/West Michigan Annual Conference Cabinet
- 2016 Jurisdictional Delegate/General Conference Alternate (2nd Elected Clergy)
- Connectional Table
- Executive Committee
- Vice Chair, Missional Administration Group on the General Conference Human Sexuality Task Force
- Chair Legislative Writing Team (Third Way)
- Presenter: 2016 Pre-General Conference Briefing and 2016 Annual BMCR Meeting
Previous Connectional and Ecumenical Church Experiences
- 2012 General and Jurisdictional Conference Delegate (2nd Elected Clergy)
- 2012 Chair, General Conference Subcommittee of Church & Society II Legislative Committee.
- Frequent preacher and teacher at area churches and at annual conference and jurisdictional including:
- Michigan area Schools for Pastoral Ministry
- Schools for Christian Mission
- United Methodist Women’s district and annual conference meetings
- Annual conference and jurisdictional Commission on Religion and Race.
- Ecumenical Church Experience: Note that my background in the church is ecumenical. I grew up Baptist and have a background in urban ministry in the A.M.E. Church. For instance, as a layperson at Bethel A.M.E. in Boston, I worked with young girls as part of the TenPoint Coalition, an ecumenical anti-violence ministry. I helped develop a ministry called “Do the Write Thing,” in which I used my love for poetry and writing to minister to teenage girls involved in gangs or at risk for gang membership.
Current Community Service Activity
- Working with people in recovery from addictions (20 years).
- Volunteer at my children’s schools.
- Advocate for issues of justice in our community (violence, policing, water crisis in Flint.
Previous Community Service Activity
- Speaker for ecumenical and interfaith events.
- Volunteer - WGBH Boston community advisory board.
- Volunteer - literacy program for homeless children.
2111 University Park Dr., Ste. 500
Okemos, MI 48864
Statements on Faith and Leadership Issues
- General/Jurisdictional Delegations of the West Michigan and Detroit Annual Conferences
- NCJ Committee on Native American Ministries
- The Black Clergy of Michigan
- The Michigan Area Black Methodists for Church Renewal
- The Fellowship of Local Pastors and Associate Ministers of the Detroit Annual Conference
- Methodist Federation for Social Action, West Michigan
- Training & Equipping African-Americans for Ministry (T.E.A.M.) of the Detroit Annual Conference
- Black Clergy Women of The United Methodist Church
- West Michigan Annual Conference