The Rev. Christopher Ritter
North Central Jurisdiction
United Methodist Center
P.O. Box 19207
Springfield, IL 62794-9207
Illinois Great Rivers Conference
Becky, my high school sweetheart, consented to marry me in 1988. This year we will celebrate our 28th wedding anniversary.
We are blessed to be the parents of four young adults: Hannah, Isaac (Victoria), Sarah, and Samuel.
Education and Honors
- 2008 - Doctor of Ministry in Evangelism, Perkins School of Theology, Southern Methodist University. Doctoral project selected by the faculty for distinction
- 1997 - Master of Divinity, magna cum laude, Candler School of Theology, Emory University
- 1996 - Level One Clinical Pastoral Education, Riverdale, Georgia
- 1994 - Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education, magna cum laude, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale
- 2016 - Educational Opportunities 10-day Learning Tour of Israel and Palestine
- 2014 - Society for Church Consulting Training, Nashville, TN
- 2012 - Large Church Initiative, Richardson, TX
- 2011 - Leadership Institute, Church of the Resurrection, Leawood, KS
- 2010 - School of Congregational Development, Nashville, TN
- 2009 - Leadership Institute, Church of the Resurrection, Leawood, KS
- 1999 Inductee into World Methodist Evangelism’s Order of the FLAME (Faithful Leaders as Mission Evangelists).
- Every church I served in full-time ministry has received the Church Growth Award from the conference.
- Geneseo First United Methodist Church received the 2015 “One Matters” Award from Discipleship Ministries.
- Doctoral Project chosen for distinction at Perkins School of Theology.
- Recognized with magna cum laude distinction at both Candler School of Theology and Southern Illinois University, Carbondale.
- 2009-Present - Directing Pastor, Geneseo First United Methodist Church and the Director of the Geneseo First-Cambridge Multisite Ministry
- 2001-2009 - Directing Pastor, New Bethel United Methodist Church in Glen Carbon, Illinois
- 1997-2001 - Pastor, Camargo United Methodist Church
- Associate Pastor, Villa Grove United Methodist Church
- 1994-1997 - Pastor, St. James and Chalybeate Springs United Methodist Churches, Manchester, Georgia
- 1991-1994 - Pastor, Grand Tower and Gorham United Methodist Churches, Illinois
- 1987-1989 - Supply Pastor, Cypress, Center, and Luther’s Chapel UMC
- 1999 - Ordained Elder in the Illinois Great Rivers Conference, UMC
- Full Clergy Member, Illinois Great Rivers Conference, UMC
- 1996 - Ordained Deacon in the Southern Illinois Conference, UMC
- Probationary Clergy Member, Southern Illinois Conference, UMC
Current Connectional and Ecumenical Church Experiences
- 2016 Clergy Delegate to the General Conference of the United Methodist Church.
- Author of the Jurisdictional Solution for Amicable Unity in the United Methodist Church.
- Author of the Love Alike Plan for unity in the United Methodist Church.
- Member, Congregational Development Team, Illinois Great Rivers Conference
- Member, Congregational Development Team, Spoon River District
- Member, Spoon River District Committee on Ministry
- “Booster” of the Guinea Ministry of the Liberia Annual Conference of The United Methodist Church.
Previous Connectional and Ecumenical Church Experiences
- 2010, Hosted “Deepening Your Effectiveness” Event for Church Leaders at Geneseo First United Methodist Church.
- 2007 Hosted “Breaking 200” Church Leaders Event at Glen Carbon-New Bethel United Methodist Church.
- 2005, Hosted the Bicentennial Celebration of Illinois Methodism at Glen Carbon-New Bethel United Methodist Church, near the site of the log cabin Bethel Meetinghouse.
- 2001-2008, Member, Board of Ordained Ministry, Illinois Great Rivers Conference.
- 2004-2008, Member, Board of Ordained Ministry Executive Team, Illinois Great Rivers Conference.
- 2004-2008, Mentor Training Coordinator, Board of Ordained Ministry, Illinois Great Rivers Conference
- 1999-2001, Chair, Embarras River District Committee on Superintendency.
Current Community Service Activities
- Geneseo Ministerial Association since 2009.
- Chaplain, Hammond-Henry Hospital
Previous Community Service Activities
- Member, Geneseo Chamber of Commerce
- Clergy Member, Geneseo Food Pantry (2012-2015).
- Ecumenical clergy group in every community in which I lived
- Mission Trips to St. Louis (5), New Orleans (5), Costa Rica, Tennessee (2), Liberia and Guinea (2).
- Chaplain, Hammond Henry Extended Care
302 North State Street
Geneseo, IL 61254